Turkmenistan – Level 4: Do Not Travel
Do not travel to Turkmenistan due to the COVID-19 pandemic and related preventative measures. Reconsider travel to Turkmenistan due to Embassy Ashgabat’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has not issued a Travel Health Notice for Turkmenistan due to COVID-19, indicating an unknown level of COVID-19 in the country. Commercial transportation to and from Turkmenistan is not available or only sporadically available. It may be difficult to enter and leave Turkmenistan and travelers should expect delays entering Turkmenistan and returning to the United States. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on the situation in Turkmenistan.
Currently, international commercial flights have been suspended. Any special charter flights, must use Turkmenabat International Airport which is 290 miles by air and 385 miles by road from Ashgabat. Please read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Turkmenistan:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Have a plan to depart Turkmenistan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.