The Gambia – Level 3: Reconsider Travel
Reconsider travel to The Gambia due to COVID-19. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire travel advisory.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for The Gambia due to COVID-19.
The Gambia resumed some transportation options and business operations. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in The Gambia.
Exercise Increased Caution In:
- The Gambia’s southern border area adjacent to Senegal’s Casamance region due to the potential presence of landmines.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to The Gambia:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Do not stray from main roads and well-traveled locations if you travel to areas bordering the Casamance region of Senegal.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for The Gambia.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
The Gambia’s Southern Border with Senegal – Exercise Increased Caution
Some landmines from the Casamance conflict remain in the border region.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.