Tajikistan – Level 4: Do Not Travel
Do not travel to Tajikistan due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in Tajikistan due to terrorism.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has not issued a Travel Health Notice for Tajikistan due to COVID-19, indicating an unknown level of COVID-19 in the country. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Tajikistan.
Terrorists have targeted bicyclists and may target other places, such as residential areas, clubs and restaurants, places of worship, hotels, schools, outdoor recreation events, and other venues, although Government of Tajikistan facilities remain the most likely target. Facilities catering to westerners in Tajikistan present a heightened risk. Avoid large crowds and public transportation to the extent possible. Tourists should avoid activities that develop predictable patterns of movement. If documenting your travel on social media, please ensure your privacy settings are appropriately set.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Tajikistan:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Have a plan to depart Tajikistan which does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Tajikistan.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.