Portugal – Level 3: Reconsider Travel
Reconsider travel to Portugal due to COVID-19.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Portugal due to COVID-19.
Limited transportation options are available, and some border crossings by land are closed with most flight routes suspended. Only essential businesses, such as supermarkets, pharmacies, and medical services are operating. Entry restrictions, pre-flight COVID-19 testing and quarantine measures are in place for U.S. citizen travelers. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for details.
Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Portugal.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Portugal:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive travel alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Portugal.
- Have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.