Moldova – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution
Exercise increased caution in Moldova due to unresolved conflict.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
Exercise increased caution in:
- Transnistria due to the unresolved conflict between this breakaway region and the central government.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 1 Travel Health Notice for Moldova due to COVID-19, indicating a low level of COVID-19 in the country. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into Moldova. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for fully vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.
Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 and related restrictions and conditions in Moldova.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Moldova:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Moldova.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Transnistria – Exercise Increased Caution
Transnistria is a breakaway region that is not under the control of the central government in Chisinau. Visitors may encounter difficulties at checkpoints along roads leading into and out of Transnistria. Taking photographs of military facilities and security forces is prohibited and may result in trouble with authorities.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens traveling in Transnistria as U.S. government employees have restrictions on traveling to the area.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.