Gabon – Level 3: Reconsider Travel
Reconsider travel to Gabon due to COVID-19. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire travel advisory.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Gabon due to COVID-19, indicating a high level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.
Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 and related restrictions and conditions in Gabon.
Exercise Increased Caution in:
- Libreville and Port Gentil due to crime.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Gabon:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Gabon.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Libreville and Port Gentil
Crimes such as robbery, vehicle break-ins, and residential burglaries are common.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.